Monday, March 28, 2016

Delta Unica


by Tony Thomas

I decided to purchase a Delta Unica as my first foray into the world of Italian fountain pens. It is a beautiful fountain pen with a lovely acrylic body and nicely priced at under $80. The blue acrylic is truly stunning and is a material that you would usually find on a much more expensive pen. The pen is medium sized (a bit less than 5.25") and feels great in the hand. The pen is also very light, weighing in at less than an ounce. The section is nice and the threads aren't sharp. The design is classic with silver hardware and a nice clip with a moving ball that makes it easy to clip to your pocket.

My biggest problem with this pen was the nib. First of all, I am not a big fan of the matte finish. I don't think that it looks that attractive. The fine nib was just ok. It wrote more like a medium. When I have a problem with a nib, I generally grind it into submission. That was the case with Delta nib provided -- I ground it into a nice cursive italic and am much more pleased with it. I also have the option of changing out the #6 nib as needed if I want to use other line widths.

Despite the nib, I am pleased with my purchase and the Unica will find a place in my daily rotation.


No comments:

Post a Comment