by Tony Thomas
I used my fountain pens quite a bit while I was working for a company that did not allow devices such as cellphones and tablets in the office.
Now that I am retired and working at home all of the time, I find myself using my devices the majority of the time and largely ignoring my fountain pens.
And when I don't use devices, I find myself using rollerball pens and mechanical pencils to write with because they are easier to deal with.
What are the disadvantages of using fountain pens?
- Removing, replacing, and posting caps is not fun
- Many inks are non-permanent
- Many inks cause feathering on cheap paper
- Fountain pen friendly paper is really expensive
- Fountain pens can dry out if not used quickly
- Many fountain pens are comparatively fragile
- Fountain pens must be cleaned
But there are also advantages:
- Wide range color of inks
- Some ink is less expensive than rollerball refills
- Prestige factor
- Fountain pens are more fun to write with
- They promote better penmanship and artistry
- Wide range of nib sizes and types
Do you use your fountain pens on a daily basis? If so, how do you use them?
My book, "The Fountain Pen Book", is available exclusively on Amazon.com: https://amzn.to/3Cd8PAt