Thursday, September 3, 2020

Are Hand-Finished Fountain Pens Worth It?

 


by Tony Thomas

I bought my Edison Collier back in 2013 and it is one pen purchase that I have never regretted.  Although it is not a completely custom pen, it was turned on a lathe and hand finished.  It is really a work of art.

I prefer hand-finished pens to those created in factories using mass production methods because of the tender loving care that goes into them.  The human touch.  

It really makes a difference.  And, yes, hand-finished pens are worth it.

I love pens from Edison and other companies that produce hand-finished pens like Franklin-Christoph and Ranga.  They are unique and very versatile.  I can swap nibs, use them with a converter, with cartridges, or as an eyedropper.

One day, I hope I can afford a custom pen from Edison so that I can pick the design and materials that are tailored to my aesthetic sensibilities and my writing needs.  

Until then, I can only imagine the pen of my dreams.  




1 comment:

  1. I agree! I think there's a place for mass-produced pens. I enjoy several, and I would use a mass-produced pen to bring to the office. But I highly prize hand-work, and hand-finished products are a nice way to enjoy that on a budget.

    ReplyDelete